La Iglesia Pentecostal la Sinagoga

la sinagoga

Friend NC snapped this shot for the blog from a bus on the way to La Guardia down E. 125th St between Madison and Lexington Avenues.  According to the Religions of Harlem website, this Spanish speaking Pentecostal church used to be a synagogue. “The name “sinagoga” is a stayover from when the congregation initially formed in 1951 as a group of seven or eight parishioners who gathered weekly in the basement of a synagogue on 109th between Park and Madison Aves. They eventually bought the synagogue and then relocated to this current location in the 1960′s, at 125th and Lexington Ave. The ‘sinagoga’ label is a casual name that stuck amongst the congregation dating back to the previous venue, to such a degree that the church chose to make it the most prominent part their sign.” You can read more at:

About zjb

Zachary Braiterman is Professor of Religion in the Department of Religion at Syracuse University. His specialization is modern Jewish thought and philosophical aesthetics.
This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply